Thread: Running shoe's
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 14:46   #20
99meters
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
I agree with Quixote. My understanding is that landing on your heel transmits all of your shock back up your leg, to your knee and hip joints. Ergo, knee and hip replacement surgery when you get older.

I have run a few races with Kenyans in the pack (and no, I didn't finish anywhere close to those fast SOB's). Watching them run is kind of interesting. Initially, they grow up barefooted, and don't wear shoes until approximately 17 years of age. When they run, their forward stride doesn't extend much past their hips. But, their "back kick" is crazy long. Whatever they are doing, it works.
Initial contact of the foot with the ground is made on the outside edge. The weight of the body is then supported at a point which varies with the runner's speed.
There is no point in the stride cycle where a runner should be landing heel first. The slower the pace the flatter the contact* should be. As the pace increases (like up to sprinting) the higher up the forefoot contact* is made.
For this discussion contact = support phase of stride.
(phases of stride: support, drive, recovery)
Craigepo Sir, there is no such thing as a foward stride. That is called overstriding.
Stride length is the distance the center of gravity travels between each foot contact. It is the resultant of momentum plus net impluse, which is given to the mass. It is best increased by applying force down and backwards, not reaching(foward stride).
hth