Thread: Martial Arts
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 14:28   #147
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air.177 View Post
Anyone Study? What do you study, How long have you studied, Would you recommend your art to anyone else?
Ever notice the knife fighting experts teaching knife fighting without a scar on them?? amazing must be a born expert. Forget the hours of choregraphy that real martial arts experts spend for a movie to make sure noone gets hurt. Some guy from a XX Group told me about the ? levels of knife fighting and he bought it lock stock and barrell. You would think the instructor would have been in prison already honing his craft on his way to expertise. Especially if he is going to tell students how to kill with it, an expert implies alot of practice and real world experience.

Sort of like the neck break grappling instructors, they always talk about breaking a neck and yet you are hard pressed to find any facts confirming his neck breaking prowess. Hell the way some of these guys talk you would expect to see a daily stack of bodies laying in the alley with broken necks from all his real world hands on experience.

Tae Kwon Do- Ever tried using any of this stuff while in kit or just weight on your back?

Boxing- I like it but hopefully my hands are controlling weapons I carry and if I break my shooting hand. In the street out of uniform keeps me on my feet.

Muay Thai- Good leg/elbow hand stuff you can use when restricted by equipment. In the street gives me more weapons to stay on my feet

Ju Jitsu- Ground based so you need to be OK laying on the ground while being monkey stomped, it is great training for getting off your back or fighting from your back if there. Has great chokes if I end up on the ground.

Catch Wrestling- Great and unlike Ju Jitsu is about top riding time and top control but the submissions are the same just different objectives but does not teach chokes. Great for putting someone on the ground keeping them there then smashing there head with a brick.

Sambo- Excellent art but is designed around WW1 Russia war fighting capability but more complete than CW or JJ.

Modern Army Combatives- Is good but starts out on the ground and we hopefully understand most if not all fights start on our feet and in our minds. Mimics MMA the sport too close. Should start with stand up first and grappling added.

Special operations Combatives Program- Designed around and for CQB a short version of tier ones program. Has a specfic purpose.

Krav Maga/H.A.G.A.N.A. etc... What people here do is only a smell of what the real Israeli's do. 3 weeks to earn the rite to be a certified instructor with no real world experience don't cut it. The concept is realistic if you approach the training having BTDT

And alot more

The bottom line is if you ever run across stuff that doesn't pass the common sense test move on.

I have been doing this stuff since I was a kid mostly live stuff tournaments and in back alleys etc.......if it doesn't make sense don't waste your time. If you are wanting to learn martial arts to feel safer and secure while out on the town they all serve that purpose. You want real stuff then train live stuff then seek to build on what you are training live. Go into a bar or a rough side of town and look around and ask your self the survivability of getting attacked there and laying on the ground trying to defend and tap someone out without backup. That is not to say that chokes don't work but arm bars are submission holds and though you can break arms how well can you do that getting stomped? Stay on your feet and run for your life is the correct answer from my experience. Never go there again unarmed and without backup or better yet it isn't your turf and you have no reason to be there so stay away. Been in a few and the situations develop so fast next thing you know you are in over your head ambushed!!. Grew up in rough areas and the survivability for someone non indigenous is low and depends on the mercy of the crowd and their purpose. If they want your money give it up and live to fight another day.

Hopefully you are getting the idea it is about surviving and not fighting 1 on 1.
Your no. 1 weapon is your intelligence and S/A.

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 04-21-2014 at 20:19.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote