View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 18:21   #39
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Frankly, your nomenclature and understanding of the weapon is atrocious. Where have you received your basic military education? Bullets do not rotate in the chamber, increase spin, or necessarily improve accuracy in a longer barrel.

First, the shooter needs to be able to outshoot the issued rifle and ammo. If not, the rest of this is a waste of ammo, and frankly, most soldiers cannot shoot better than the rifle as issued.

IF you were able to shoot better than the system would allow, a limited number of shooters would benefit from:

1. Use better ammo.

2. Freefloat the handguards.

3. Install a better trigger.

4. Install and train on magnifying optical sights

5. Install a longer barrel to increase muzzle velocity and thus have a flatter trajectory with less compenasation or hold over required.

Longer mags mean more weight, increased feeding problems, reduce your ability to get into a low prone, get caught while getting in and out of vehicles, doing CQB etc. IMHO, a good shooter should not have a problem going 30 rounds between reloads. The M-16 and M-4 users are riflemen, not SAW gunners.

HTH.

TR
Or a gas piston upper. I think the GPU will keep the M4 in the running long after we are gone