View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 21:31   #6
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
After OCS & Jump school it was off to Bragg. My classmate and roommate Pat Cobb had a 65 green 289 CU Muscrat, while I was running a 67 Camero RS/SS 396, 375HP.

Most weekends found us at the drag strip, with another classmate, Sammy Bush and his 66 GTO.

Pat won, more often than not, because he raced in HS and his Muscrat were almost 500 lbs lighter

But we were young and had fun
Yeah! My 'Stang was a 289 also but was stock. There were a lot of farm and ranch kids who got special loans based on harvests and stock sales, mine were monthly plus I was paying for flying lessons while working for Monkey Ward. They had amazing machines: GTOs, Chargers, 442s, supped-up Impalas, a GTX, but I don't remember any Camaros. (I had a first run '82, though, that my son is still driving!) There was a Saudi "cousin" going to the A&M school nearby who had a great '66 427 Malibu SS. As you would guess he had every bell and whistle under the hood and floorboard, but it looked stock on the outside. He was hell on the out-of-towners out at the drag strip.

Those were the days!

ETA: I forgot that the Impala that I was thinking about belonged to my oldest stepsister's boyfriend. On the night I got my driver's license he tossed me the keys to it and said, "Have fun." Well, while I knew how to drive a manual, his had a Hust 4-speed and heavy racing clutch. I was driving down Main St. while trying to figure out how to shift it smoothly. I'm not sure what engine he had in it, but the thing was bucking down the street as I shifted. Pretty much like in American Graffiti the local cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket for "hot-rodding" or whatever the official term was.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 10-29-2018 at 23:15.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote