View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 18:04   #1
PSM
Area Commander

The 50th Anniversary of Steve McQueen’s Bullitt

For the FOGs, where were you when you first saw it?

I was at our rec building's theater on Okinawa. It sat about 50 or so people and often got first run movies in 16mm. Right in the middle of the chase scene, just when the cars went over the big jump, the OD shut it down. We had to secure the company area for a typhoon that was about to hit. It took about two hours to tape the windows, fill sandbags and stack them near doors in case they would be needed, strip the canvas from the vehicles in the motor pool, and couple of newly arrived PVTs had to clean out the drains at the bottom of the steps of our deep-underground-bunker Orderly Room.

When we got back to the theater, the projectionist started the film right where we left off. He almost had a riot on his hands. So he re-wound it to the beginning of the chase.

McQueen tried to buy the car back without luck: Bullitt Mustang

Before I enlisted in '67 I had a '67 Mustang that was new to me but not new. The brother of a friend of mine bought it when they first came out in '66 but got drafted shortly after. Rather than let the Army pick his MOS he enlisted and I bought from him it by only taking over the payments. The summer before I enlisted was the best of my school life!

p.s.: Watching that video reminded me that I took off the Mustang on the grill way before the movie came out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968-Mustang-BULLITT.jpg (32.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 1968-Mustang-BULLITT Letter.jpg (58.0 KB, 27 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 10-28-2018 at 18:07.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote