View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 08:56   #75
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
Not sure at the moment. But I am sure there are ways to gradually bring the cost down, or at least slow down the rate of growth of its cost.
gradually?

Hate to be a gloomer and doomer...and I am seeing trees mostly, however:

Walk to any inner city ER and observe. Medicare reimbursement to hospitals is now based on customer satisfaction. If that doesn't sound disturbing, here it goes: Depending on how the customer feel upon discharge, that is how the hospital got reimbursed. Can anyone say bye bye education. I (and all staff) had to take obesity sensitivity class! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, obese is a medical term but now it is as good as calling somewhat fat, blimp, balloon, blubber etc. One the lesson in the class...are you ready? Myth: Obese people can lose weight if they try and exercise. That's one aspect. Another is when medicare recipient choose to waste thousands of dollars of tax payers money in ER visit versus going to walmart for $5 ibuprofen for fever, sore muscle, and so on. Can we educate? Yes, if we want to hurt people feelings and get zilch for reimbursement, risking the hospital financial health. Oh, and why bother stocking generic OTC at home if EMS is one phone call away to get your child treated for sore throat, 1 hr long fever, N/V/D. Yes, the ER helps some, but on the most part it enables Americans to be too fat, too lazy, too dumb, too cheap, and too thin-skinned to care for themselves.

It's gradual all right, in the opposite direction!

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote