Thread: Introductions V
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 18:52   #75
Knight's_Cross
Asset

Introduction

Long Version :Ever since I was a child capable of coherent thought, I have wanted to join the United States Armed Forces. I idolized the Men and Women who risked everything to keep me safe. I was in awe of the Uniform from the very first time I could read,"Don't Mess with the U.S."

Having been in fourth grade during Sept. 11th, therefore growing up looking at the fear of the adults around me, seeing true patriotism out and about, really strengthened my sense of duty. I wanted to protect, serve, and accomplish things that most wouldn't dream of attempting. Not out of selfishness, or some misguided "macho Rambo" crap, but because I knew it was something I was born to do. Of course, as a child, the military consisted of shooting imaginary bad guys with cool sticks. Eventually, I grew up and realized that's not what it is about, nor did I find the idea of "shooting people" compelling anymore.

I never fancied myself as special, but the more I read the more I realized I wanted to be a part of a deep, elite, and highly regarded force. I had/have certain wants/needs to fulfill my "dream" of the perfect Special Operations Forces unit. After a lot of (at the time, I was young and more impatient) research, I could find no "group" that really piqued my interest. Let me add a note here. I am not under the impression that our military is geared to satisfy me, I know and understand it is not that way.

Fast forward to High School, where I was enrolled in NJROTC. I excel in the program. Regardless of how you may view it, it gave me the chance to visit Parris Island MCRD twice for two weeks. I loved it. It was "hardcore". It was the most fun I have ever had in my life. Most people call me crazy for it, but I loved the exhaustion, the constant reminder that I was nothing until they told me I was. The notion that to get anything in that world, you had to bust nuts and earn it. Of course, I got all excited in the Marines and I had every intention of joining. The more Marines I talked to, the more I saw, the more I realized they weren't for me. Not because I couldn't keep up or anything, but (no offense here, really) Marines seem to be so geared to fight and no more. I consider myself to be intelligent, and I want to use my brain. I also want to help people, in more ways than one.

Discouraged, my plans faded. The desire and drive never really faded, but I could not find the right path. Somehow, the only SOF I knew of were Navy SEALs, Air Force PJs, and Marine Force Recon. Don't ask me how I missed the entire Army's offerings. I discovered the Army Rangers and Special Forces about a year ago. Rangers enticed me, but again seemed to be geared specifically towards combat, and I don't necessarily want that.

The more I read about the Green Berets, the more interested I became. It never seemed to be a "passing interest" either. I became more and more engrossed in the lore and hardships they (You) have faced. Then, like some cosmic "knucklehead stamp", the realization hit me. All my life, the group I was looking for was right there. Since this realization, I have dedicated my mind and body to the pursuit of a career in a most distinguished path. As I near 20, I grow more and more excited, and yet more cautious, that I grow closer to starting the journey to my goal.

In terms of why I am qualified...I can't tell you. In terms of skills I can build the AR-15 platform from parts (have, I love my civilian AR) and I can build computers from simple components (this is easy, most people can do this). Alas, I have not gone through the training and have no basis in which to say "this or that". I will listen to you, the true Experts and Professionals, instead of making assumptions that will only serve to harm me. You have all done us prospective SF candidates an amazing honor by sharing your time, responses, and history with us. I thank you more than anything, and I hope you know we appreciate your assistance.

My plan? Enlist under an 18x contract, give the training and selection my all, and hope that I come out years from now a member of the closest, most elite Brotherhood there is.

I hope I did not keep you too long, but if you did read all of that, thank you for taking the time. Maybe this little tidbit of who I am will allow you to decide for yourselves if I am someone you would allow by your side someday.

Again, thanks, for everything.
Knight's_Cross is offline   Reply With Quote