Thread: Home Security
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 18:23   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Good feedback guys, and a few new tricks to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
TR, you obviously have a strong position (location) in which to prepare so well. I can't see if you stated multi-story or just elevated entry but do you and family have an adequate escape plan from multiple locations. If not just the need to escape fire but a tactical entry team of the good or bad guys and rally points inside/outside?
We have a full basement and a loft upstairs from the main level.

There are multiple exits (including instructions on when to open the windows, and when to break them out) and an assembly plan with rally points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69harley View Post
Might want to consider securing the DVR for the video system and its back up power sourse. You also mentioned the security cameras are wired into the televisions, thats good. Can the default on your TVs be set to the security system so that when they are turned on (bump in the night) they automatically go to the feed from the security system?

Back to the security of the DVR and back up batteries. A good technique is to power the DVR from a car battery that is connected to a maintainer. If the power to the house is cut, the cameras and the DVR will still run for over a awhile.

Secure the DVR, battery and maintainer inside a gun safe. If not, when the bad guys do get inside the house they could just take the DVR.

The DVR is in a locked area, and is on the list to move into an even more secure area. We have back-up power, and battery back-ups to that for the DVR, surveillance, and security systems. Good points, thanks.

I could use a security / cable / TV / wireless expert though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
You already know what I'm going to say, so we'll keep it between us, LMAO!
Oh, is that how it is going to be?

Next time, my wife's pot-bellied beagle gets first dibs at your chow.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote