Thread: Team 1911's
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 00:05   #12
orko
Quiet Professional

My ODA went through a simmular situation. We had to draft a memo in order to modify our 1911s. Once approved the S-4 had to sign off on the parts purchases since there is no contract in place for replacement parts. Our mods covered mostly after market parts though: bever tails, trijicon sights, ambi safety, grips, bushing rings and full legenth guide rods.

As far as refit, we sent all the pistols to bragg where they went through magnaflux inspection. Of the weapons that came back without codeout paperwork we lost most of our aftermarket parts. if a pistol needed to be fixed it came back to 10-20 standard.

I believe the Army plans to phase these out the same way they did the M79 (by attrition) so you can cannablize for main components such as barrels at home station without running the risk of loosing anything you already put on them.

I would agree with stras on the M9s, bring them as a back up. Guys would still want to maintain proficency with them anyhow if they have a shooting school in their future, or find them selves in a situation needing a larger magazine capacity.
orko is offline   Reply With Quote