View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 13:29   #3
Flagg
Area Commander

I'm not an 18D(so you've been officially warned, take my post with a kilogram of salt), but I've got a reasonable level of formal medical training and some real world first responder experience.

I used to carry tampons, but after a few real world situations I've binned them.

For me, my first responder experiences have all been a bit like jumping out of a plane for the first time. I was scared absolutely shitless.

While I now enjoy jumping out of airplanes on the odd occasion, I don't enjoy the first responder experience. I enjoy trying to help, but the "scared absolutely shitless" hasn't changed for me.

When I think of items like tampons used for gun shot wounds or other penetrating trauma like knife wounds, I think of the loss of fine motor skills due to my arousal level/heart rate going to maximum and my cognitive performance going off the bad/far end of the upside down "U".

So I stick with the basics to which I have been well trained and practice and leave the esoteric(or improvised esoteric) stuff to the full time dedicated professionals.

Another consideration is, are tampons used for wound packing able to be seen on X-Ray?

I have some wound cavity packing material I've been trained on(but never used real time) that I've been told has some material in it to ensure it is more easily identified via medical imaging.

I would think tampons in actual use for entry/exit/cavity might present a problem down the track.

Just my thoughts from a similar-ish level of training.

Once again....I'm NOT an 18D, so I defer to their greater training/experience.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote