View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 17:56   #1
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Is the 18X going away?

Gents,

One of the students from BYU-Idaho who worked on the research for my business is graduating later this year and is getting ready to join the army on an 18X contract. He went through MEPS last week and was cleared for Airborne but his recruiter has recently informed him that the 18X program was being cancelled so the recruiter is trying to convince him to do a different contract.

This sounds eerily familiar to what one of my nephews went through when he was joining up back in 2002. My nephew's recruiter said the Ranger contracts had been cancelled because they were full and they sent him to the MPs instead. I was in A-Stan at the time and wasn't informed of what had transpired until after the damage was done.

This college kid that worked with me is about my size (190, 6'-1"/2"), training in MMA and is fluent in Russian. He's a solid guy. If the 18X program is indeed at an end, that's going to suck. But if it isn't and his recruiter is playing shenanigans, I'd like to do what I can to help this young lad stay on the path he has chosen.