View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 16:00   #10
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Ohhhh! CSM-H - Stop complaining about something you should be grateful for. CSB has 2/3rds of the answer (virgin too tight () and barrel/bushing fit - though I'm not really a fan of the Series 70 bushings); PRB and JJ_BPK most likely have the rest (requires some "break-in" to assemble/disassemble easily). I've got several quality 1911's and variants and all require a bushing wrench. Most actually came with one from the manufacturer. Do like I've done, get one of the inexpensive plastic ones, throw it in your cleaning kit, use it when required. That and thank whichever smith built your R1 because it'll probably shoot a little better than the arms room Remington Rand you (we!) grew up with.

For the lurkers - Barrel/bushing fit is 1/2 of tuning the front end of a 1911 (lugs, hood and link are the back end), bushing/slide is the other half. A tight fit on the latter goes a long way towards preserving the former and both contribute their share to accuracy. Tom Kelly's description of his Les Baer is what pistol smiths strive for in a "top tier" pistol (not enough "slop" in my mind for a military sidearm that might not see scrupulous maintenance). The bushing wrench is to compensate for a tight bushing/slide fit. It also depresses the recoil spring plug to unlock the bushing so it'll turn. I use one even when not required because I'm lazy and it makes assembly/disassembly easier.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote