View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 19:49   #71
NoRoadtrippin
Guerrilla

update...

Hey NDD and others,

I've been meaning to add to this for awhile just to let you know how ubiquitous the quote has gotten. I'm currently at the Infantry Officer Basic Course down at Benning and its all over the place.

First, I saw it posted on the wall in the "LT's Transition Office." This is bascially who we belong to whenever we are between courses or waiting to PCS from Benning or whatever the case may be. There is a QP that works in the office. Its possible that instance came from him.

Yesterday, during our MI intro brief the MAJ talking to us used it at the end of his presentation--he wore an SF combat patch, maybe that's where he picked it up.

Then, it came right back up today on the front end of a presentation on Guerrilla Warfare and Counter Insurgency given by a civilian that works at the Infantry museum. His was the only one that attributed the quote to anyone. It said "as stated by a SFQC instructor," or something to that effect.

I just thought I'd let you know where I had seen it lately. Honestly, I kinda like seeing it each time. Its rather cool knowing I at least know the online moniker of its creator. Plus its just damn motivating. Maybe I'll get it tattooed on my forearm before Ranger school....
For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the [terrorists] -- an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business.
-D. W. Brogan, The American Character
NoRoadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote