Thread: GSW to chest
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 22:50   #8
shr7
Asset

If you don't mind. A couple questions about the antibiotics/infection control.

Is there a standard antibiotic for a GSW as opposed to any trauma where the skin is broken? I am assuming that the antibiotic choice is majorly dictated by where the wound is. For example a gut wound would need different coverage than a foot wound, which might need different coverage than a superficial injury to the arm.

In this case, what antibiotics did you start, and why the choice to use IV? Did he receive a first dose IV in the trauma bay, followed by finishing a course PO at home? Or was he admitted to the hospital with multiple days of IV therapy? Or did he just receive 1 dose as a prophylaxis before he was sent home?

I am wondering your thoughts on the subject, because someday when I grow up, I would love to work in an ER.

I am not trying to ask questions that I have not researched, but I haven't been able to find any guidelines on the subject as of yet.

I think my question boils down to, are we using antibiotics as prophylaxis, or as empiric therapy, and what is guiding your decision making in abx selection and IV vs. PO?

Thank you very much

SR
shr7 is offline   Reply With Quote