View Single Post
Old 09-02-2006, 12:01   #72
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Safe Handling of Sharp Tools...

...is a frame of mind whenever the knife is in your hand.

Yes I'm stating the obvious and will continue, be careful when handling these knives no matter what the edge condition. Whoever coined the phrase "a dull knife will cut you worse than a sharp one" hasn't been cut with something really sharp.

In my work as a knifemaker I learned how to make knives very sharp before learning how to handle very sharp knives. I've been cut a few times, couple of those resulted in scheduled surgical procedures to re-attach tendons. Avoid this if possible. Much down time involved.

Using sharp edged tools in hard use and emergency situations requires habits learned before you get there, just like firearms handling. The best advice I have is:

Think at all times where the blade is going to go when you apply the horsepower to the cut.

Watch and Think about your holding hand and arm, this is what will probably get hurt first if the blade breaks thru or slips off what your cutting. Do NOT cut toward your hand or body no matter how much control you think you've got. Murphy likes knives too.

Try and cut tough materials, if possible, on some kind of surface rather than up in the air. You have more control this way.

If the knife isn't cutting in something very tough, Think before using more horsepower. That instant of thinking might keep you from getting cut.

Keep your folding knives cleaned out, especially in and around the locking mechanisms. Grit, pocket lint, organic debris, sand, mud and stuff can all build up over time and cause a lock to not lock the blade in the full open position.

Most of this cleaning can be done with a toothpick or sliver of wood. It's not hard to do but please do it.

Final note, keep some good band aids around anyway.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote