View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 22:05   #24
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Well, I know I'm getting kind of old hand have been out for awhile but there are some things I didn't know about our Army:
Troops have been able to qualify with the M-68, which is a militarized version of the Aimpoint CompM2, for quite some time now.

A good way to get a feel for whats going on is to peruse the June 2017 edition of "The Soldier's Blue Book"
The first things you will find is the forward, a place for the trainee to write down the chain of command, a place to write down the trainees mailing address, and a complete list of the unit's victim advocate and SHARPS team. The 2008 version was something a Soldier could use. The 2017 edition is just downright bizarre.

Just a quick flip through it will confuse the crap out of anyone that came in during my era.

When I went to boot camp, the Army issued everyone a "SMART" book. You never went anywhere without your smartbook. That little book had everything: the pledge of allegiance, the national anthem, the army song, and all of the other arcane knowledge that troops learn. It also had the task, conditions, and standards for all of the combat takes you needed to learn during boot camp. Putting in a claymore, load-fire-reduce a stoppage, doing a functions check...
...you name it- if the Drill Sgt was going to have you do it - it was in that book.

The current "blue book" looks like a primer for dope smoking hippies. I looked from cover to cover and learned a little about resiliency and found out that during basic training, there is no such thing as a consensual relationship, but I couldn't find anything on how to apply immediate action and remedial action to the M16 series rifle. Maybe the methodologies for training recruits has changed since the mid-80's - who knows.
...but at least the cover photo shows Soldiers throwing hand grenades

Fear not though brave comrades, TRADOC has "a long list of changes and tweaks, with an eye toward a full roll-out in late spring" that should fix everything.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 02-14-2018 at 22:25.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote