Thread: 12 Strong
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 15:16   #24
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

I won’t go into too many details but, suffice to say the movie was (all) about Captain Nelson and everyone else was a supporting actor including the Northern Alliance. Whether that is SEAL advisory input or the script I don’t know. The story was about one man and the decisions he made.

Teams do not (did not in 2001) operate the way the movie portrayed it. The whole team (teams available) would have gone through isolation procedures and conducted a ‘briefback’ to the commander and the commander would then make his recommendations JSOC as to which team was best prepared and understood the mission. Their would have been a primary and an alternate teams selected and all would then train and rehearse until wheels-up.

Also, no team in play would know about any other team in play. There is no competition (to compromise) in the field only mission objectives and limits of advance.

The movie met its purpose and audience, people clapped and applauded at the end of the movie and were touched by the revelation that no one (on the ODA) died.

I spent too much thought criticizing all that was horribly wrong with the movie rather than enjoy it for what it was. Maybe the name is wrong, it should have been called “1 Strong” then I would know going in it was all about “ME” and not Team!

Like I said, my 10-y/o enjoyed it immensely and asked me questions the whole time. I had to tell him to be quiet more than once even though the theater was practically empty (on Friday night) maybe 1% of seats sold for this movie. He now thinks all Taliban must die!

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote