View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 08:34   #9
FlagDayNCO
Guerrilla

Marines Threw Belt Fed To Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettendorf View Post
How does one initiate an ambush?

I was taught that one would one would use the heaviest casualty-producing weapon (ie Claymore) but it the absence of said ability, what would it be?

Apparently, the Marine Corps teaches that a closed-bolt weapon (M16-M4) does the job. I guess operated by a leader.

Thanks.
Don't forget the Marines went through great lengths to legitimize the M16 as a replacement for the SAW and M240, in the AUTOMATIC RIFLE role. They use an M16 that is now an M27. A MAGAZINE FED 5.56 rifle in the role we all learned to be of a BELT FED 7.62 MACHINE GUN.

I recall extensive publicity efforts in the gun media and even NAT GEO or Discovery to show how the M27 ADDS an important FULL AUTOMATIC FIRE CAPABILITY to the Marine Infantry Squad.

Unbelievable.

Now, none of us ever enjoyed carrying the PIG, or the M240 and variants, but it is a weapons system that is the one that determines the planning of an ambush. Both initiating and reacting to.

As I sit back as a Civilian now and read all the "advances" and "initiatives" in the Infantry, I see the decision makers do not have the surviving and lethality of the Combat Arms at heart. Maybe it's just to dilute the Combat Arms so EVERYONE can now be a WARRIOR.

The Cold War didn't end, communism still lives and has come to America.

The Insurgency is going well, especially with the enemy at the table of every branch of our Federal, State, and Local Government.
FlagDayNCO is offline   Reply With Quote