View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 10:07   #42
Pete
Quiet Professional

"Q" boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP5IC
I guess the "Q" could mean a few things given we were based in Key West
On one trip down there we got seconded to the Navy for some odd reason. They were dropping sonar bouys from a P-3 (?) aircraft. They were using an area that was about 45' - 60' deep and they wanted the bouys back if they sank.

We were loaded up on a LCU (?). It was a "drive on the back" craft with the beach landing ramp on the front . The well deck ran the full length. It had a two story tower on the right side and stairs to an area below the well deck that had bunks and the machinery spaces. If I ever figure out how to make pictures smaller I'd post them.

With the flat bottom on it half the guys were seasick most of the day. The cook liked to make chillie and hot dogs for lunch. I thought it was good chow but some of the others could not even come close to that area of the boat due to the smell.

Now does this sound like military planning or what? Remember the Navy was in charge, not us. We would load a dive team per boat in a number of little whalers and spread out over the drop area. As the plane dropped the bouys the boats would home in on the nearest ones and move over to them. One drop me and I think Juan were looking up and Juan goes "Hey Chief, that one looks like it's coming a little close". The chief gunned the motor and the bouy hit right where the boat had just been. Of course it sank and we bailed out to fetch it back.

All in a days work.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote