View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 18:28   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Marlin was bought by the consortium that owns Remington, and there was subsequently a lot of incompetence, if not actual sabotage in the production line.

If I were looking for a Marlin lever action rifle, it would have to be an older model or one that a gunsmith inspected and approved of.

Alternates would include Browning, Winchester, Rossi, Savage, etc. The Winchester 92 and 94 in .357 have been a bit fragile and problematic. Good carbine calibers are the .357 and .44 Magnums, and the .45 Colt. The Magnums will generally come close to delivering the performance people expect from their revolvers in those calibers. Handloaders can create some powerful rounds from those pistol cartridges that are safe for the rifle. Good rifle calibers include the .30-30, the .45-70, and any other flat or round bullet shape, as the tubular magazine will not safely allow you to load with pointed or spitzer bullets. The lever exceptions are the Winchester 1895 and Savage 99, which have a box magazines and can handle a variety of higher-performance pointed rifle rounds.

Completely agree with getting the car ready and filling all vehicle fuel tanks.

I tend to stay up on most election nights watching the returns, that might not be a bad idea for other reasons this time.

I will probably check out the first aid and trauma kits, too, just in case. I just checked the fire extinguishers and changed the smoke detector batteries last week.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote