View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 19:53   #7
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
I thought it was interesting the author advocated an alternative would be to attach CA or MISO to an ODA.
I wonder when's the last time the author survey actual language capability of CA and MISO. Take a look at 95th, 85th, and CAPOC and those having functional, beyond 3/3 qualification is rare. I'm 3+/3+ myself and have a 2nd language, etc. Like MtnGoat said, the individuals have to have the desire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post

Individuals have to have the desire to learn languages. You're SF and your job is to be able to talk to people, instruct people, mentor and lead people. Which these people are typically insurgents, resistance forces or for nationals nationals. I have seen two different Groups, I've seen Group Core languages changed and I was taught French out of the Q course, then due to my Group Core languages changing had to learn Serbo-Croatian, learn a little bit of German. While in 3rd had learned Phasto and a little Dari. I scored well and Serbo-Croatian and Phasto passed both on the DLPT or in the OPI. It's individuals have to have the desire to do it and if they don't they should not be SF.
hard to switch from the door-kicking mindset I suppose. Had a buddy came back from the 18F school. He was equally frustrated with the lack of interest to develop "intel skills" vs. door kicking skill.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote