View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 17:16   #10
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

I think that problems come up when senior leaders cross-over groups. The first thing that my NCOs mention regarding a certain SF company comander on his first trip down south was that he did not understand the language and customs of that region. He did not display the ability to adapt to their culture and thus, ended up avoiding the indigineous senior military leadership at all costs. As one warrant officer put it: "He would tell me 'Chief, you're in charge, I have to go to CONUS'".

One CSM that went from 7th to 3rd Group, as a SGM (I believe it was either at this level, or at the CSM level, I don't remember too well), described the situation this way: "Really, I wanted to perform my duties in this group [7th SFG], but at the time it was not possible; there was no position for me there. I went to 3rd Group with the feeling that although I had tremendous experience as a senior NCO and leader, that I lacked in the cultural department. There are nuances and details that you just don't pick up from a briefing. So, I made sure that the guys had what they needed and supported them in doing their jobs."

Honestly, I don't think any one group has the upper rung over another. It just so happens that my experiences took place with some folks from the same group. And, except for one case in particular, I think it has more to do with a different way of doing things than anything else.