Thread: Fire!!
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 11:08   #52
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
I just found out today that my fire starter tabs from, I believe Gerber; you know the ones that claim they will light on top of water, well anyways, they would not ignite? None of the 9 I had would not ignite even under a propane blow torch. They are about 6-7 years old and were in my survival kit. Bottom line is, to check your gear before you pack it to make sure it works first. HMMMmmm, sounds like somebody I know here on this forum!
Has anyone checked the expiration dates on their survival gear lately?

I have seen some people put that sort of stuff on their calendar to remind them to check it.

Many products are good well beyond their expiration dates, especially if stored in a cool, dark, dry place, but you have to test them. The worst place to store items with a limited shelf life is in a car. Next worst would be an attic, then the garage. Yes, I understand that is where many people store items they do not often use. A basement is usually great.

If you check the MRE threads, you will see that every ten degrees storage temp above 50 or so cuts the shelf life almost in half.

Great advice, MAB.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote