View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 20:35   #6
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

Up here where I live they have state hunters that will use helicopters and airplanes from time to time for coyotes. Most people around here shoot them anytime the opportunity presents itself. Seen five last Saturday when we were elk hunting....fortunately for them we were elk hunting. There are a bunch around this year. A local trapper has already got 9 of them. There are some smaller towns around that have coyote derbies. The hunter or team with the most coyotes wins the prize money.
Another problem, that affects the elk herds for sure, are wolves. They are getting quite numerous. You can buy a tag for them and hunt them but they are somewhat more cunning than a coyote. Think I will get a tag (over the counter purchase) for next year. We seen a wolf track on that same elk hunt Saturday. I've been told that there is a pack (6 or so) running about 15 miles west of my location and we've had them come through here spooking the hell out of cattle in the recent past.
I used to see feral cats but not so much anymore. Any that I've seen lately have been fairly close to peoples ranch houses.
A predator is a predator around here and not counting the wolf they are fair game with no special license or tag required and can be hunted year round. That includes red fox and badgers.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote