View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 07:36   #13
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Quote:
Robert Parker Parrott belies that statement.
As with everything certain, there is always an exception.

Major General Smedley Darlington Butler would disagree with your quote though (he did not fight during the Civi War, but did engage in a number of other wars including the Spanish-American War and WWI) as he was convinced that there is much profiteering that occurs during war. He wrote a speech and book titled War Is A Racket which outlines how businesses benefit greatly from warfare.

General Butler made suggestions on how to limit profiteering from the government during wartime. His first one is to 'conscript' those companies that will aid in the war effort and pay them enough to cover their expenses. All workers - regardless of positions within the company - would be paid what a private in the army earns. He also suggests that wars should be decided upon by the people who are fighting them (rather than politicians). His final idea calls for limitations of the US military.

He definatly had some original thinking.

jaYson
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--

Last edited by Longstreet; 10-24-2011 at 07:39.
Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote