View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 12:55   #3
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

The Petzls are all pretty sexy. I use the Princton Tecs because of price. I prefer LEDs for most work because the batteries last longer and they are far more durable. You may need to consider an incandescent bulp vs LED for medical work though. LEDs are wonderful but there are some serious color shifts. Some colors "disappear" or blend into their surroundings when illuminated with LEDs. I'm not a medic but I would think accurately distinguishing color would be important. Incandescent bulbs give a broad spectrum "warmer" light with a better color rendering. Unfortunately (relative to LEDs) they are less durable and they eat batteries. But they are usually cheaper as a system (almost cheap enough to be considered disposable). One of the Docs/Medics will be along shortly to add to the discussion. My .02 - Peregrino

ETA: Course you could do what a compadre showed me a while ago - Get one of the one-cell SureFire lights, keep it on you always, and when you need a headlamp - clip it to the brim of your baseball cap. Kills more than one bird with the same stone and you get a cool toy out of it. That and it'll put out more light than almost any headlamp. Course we're back to the battery life thing. If you use it for an extended period during a treatment, you'll need to change batteries religiously. FWIW - P.

Last edited by Peregrino; 08-15-2005 at 13:02.
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote