View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 13:43   #111
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctom54 View Post
As a 91B4S at one time and a physician I would say that paracord makes a lousy tourniquet . It is narrow. The wider the better when it comes to a tourniquet. Even with a stick is is hard to get sufficient pressure to stop arterial flow on a limb. Probably would work on a finger.
Read the highlighted comment again! Any TQ that I would carry would be a minimum of 1.5 inches and 2 would be better. Much wider and they become too big to carry and tighten (for a combat TQ)(also if one doesn't stop the bleed and you have two place a second one above the first to make a wider TQ... i.e. on a femoral bleed). As was said your paracord aka shoelace causes A LOT of pain and doesn't stop the bleeding, you would be better to use your shirt in an emergency. Always carry a cravat and you can fold it to be 2 inches wide. There are a ton of aftermarket TQs that work great. Research these as there are a lot of fakes and crappy TQs out there. There is a lot of info on this site about them.

If Quick Clot is all you can get, that will work in a pinch, but not preferred.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote