Thread: From ROTC to SF
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 22:21   #12
NoRoadtrippin
Guerrilla

Take it all in...

To the OP...definitely don't rush things. And by the same token, don't second guess the plan just because it isn't what constantly as great as it sounded in your head.

I can remember arriving at LDAC a few years ago and thinking, "Holy crap what can I do to get out of here. My reasoning was a bit different than yours, but, like you, I thought I had found myself in a place that was not at all for me. It was my first real "Army" experience away from home and I felt way in over my head. Now, I sit here waiting on my Captain's bars to finalize and I can't quite figure out where all my time "with the troops" went...

If you are determined to lead--if you are floored by the opportunity to take America's sons to combat against the enemies of our country then you need to continue to train as an officer. The Army could not get by without NCOs, but it is a completely different world from that of an officer. That's something you need to think about. I understand the lines are blurred in some ways in the SF world, but you should go into saying, "Where will I be happy if I don't make it to SF?" Now, I am not saying give yourself an out, but as an early post said, there is a lot between you and SF, and life often intervenes between now and then to alter the best laid plans of mice and men... So think about that, do you want to take care of Soldiers and implement the plans of another, or do you want to develop those plans and be responsible for everything those 40 men do or fail to do? That's a very blunt description of the differences between the NCO and officer world. I just want to illustrate that you need to consider what you want out of the Army long term and not rush off to SF by what seems the "shortest" route possible.

Your time as a LT will be quick, fast, and in a hurry. You get 9 months at Benning to hit IBOLC, Ranger, and ABN. That platoon will come and go and all the sudden you'll wake up as an XO. Next week it will seem like its time to be a Captain on staff or seeking command. Take your time man. Enjoy it. Get a degree. If you hate being an officer, you can always resign your commission later without having to pay the Army back and you get to keep the degree.

If the CDTs around you aren't serious then start pushing them. You'll be a senior soon enough. Change the culture. Make things better. A leader who always leaves a broken organization, rather than making it better, is no leader at all. What happens when you get to a PLT with a PSG that's tired from 4-5 deployments and Soldiers who lack discipline? Gonna leave?
For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the [terrorists] -- an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business.
-D. W. Brogan, The American Character
NoRoadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote