Thread: From ROTC to SF
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 20:07   #10
Hollywood6
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmack View Post
Hello All,

I'm currently a contracted cadet in Army ROTC, just looking for some suggestions in my situation. I am a sophomore and just finished my 3rd semester of college, I'm on full scholarship however every day I ask myself if it's all worth it.

I question whether this path will lead me to my dreams, to be SF.

I am in good standing as a cadet(3.4 GPA) and have no problems maxing a PT test, however I find that a majority of the kids in ROTC are just that, kids. It seems nobody takes things seriously.

Anyways, I wish to drop-out and try to pick up an 18x or something along the lines of that. Since I am contracted I have to pay back the money in full or repay with enlisted duty (if I payed in full I would enlist anyways). I'm just wondering how likely I am to even pick up an 18x. I don't want to end up getting an unwanted MOS. The only way I would take this risk is if I could be guaranteed the 18x, or even an option 40. Is it likely? I've been thinking about this for about a year now. Feel free to ask me any more questions about myself to get a better understanding as to where I'm at.

Thanks.
I will shed some light on this. I normally read and do not reply. Having said that.

I am in ROTC and involved in SMP as a contracted non scholarship cadet due to year group numbers. I was an E4 before I went to dot status.

Bear in mind you have a 4 year full ride for the Army, take it and use it. Coming from a military family and my own personality I feel the same way you do however I have many group friends who have been great mentors to me and are the finest group of NCO's and Officers I have had the pleasure of meeting.

SFAS, Ranger School, deployments etc will always be there. We will be somewhere else some other time. Those schools are not disappearing. The demands for special soldiers will not be disappearing any time soon. College however can go somewhere it is very hard to go back to school, things can come up, life can change, you can get married. It is all up in the air. I almost did not contract to take a promotion, ranger school slot and to deploy as a fire team leader but those NCO's told me to wait for precisely those reasons. Do not jump the gun, one step at a time.

A first group guy who was also an evaluator for SFAS and a Major who is in the guard both said this: Just carry on being the type of leader and soldier you are. You cannot just commission glide through then turn on a switch come SFAS to become the type of leader that is needed then. It starts now. Continue conducting yourself in the manner fitting to be a leader of some of the most capable soldiers in our army.

In ROTC you find all kinds of people, clowns, morons, wanna be tough guys and those who just want the free degree. I personally do not like most of my fellow cadets and feel they have no idea what they are getting themselves into /have no business being a combat leader but that is for someone else to decide not me. Ignore the clowns, self study, know the material to a T, help others, do not be condescending when helping, take silent pride let someone else ego stroke and yell and stomp around. Stay the course and take the targets one at a time.

And also, 18X is very tough route to take, most do not make it. Most 18x guys I have known that were not idiot 18 year olds were older guys who had the maturity level for the job they were seeking. I highly doubt you will find much difference between cadets and some PVT out of OSUT who signed a piece of paper for 18X and thinks he is a stud.
Hollywood6 is offline   Reply With Quote