View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 21:47   #15
SLVGW360
Auxiliary

I don't know the laws in NC, but I doubt they're much different than they are where I am. The American ideal in regard to wildlife is just the opposite of what used to occur, and still might, in Europe. There the deer belonged to the King and game keepers were charged with protecting them for the King's use.

Here the wildlife belong to everyone and the States are the keepers of that wildlife in the public trust. Most of us are granted powers by state statute to enter upon any lands and waters, public or private, when we have reason to believe someone is exercising the benefits conferred by a license issued by the State. Yes, that is a broader power than traditional law enforcement. I always hesitate when I say "traditional" because where I grew up the only law enforcement you saw was the local game warden. My agency has been in existence enforcing wildlife law for 104 years.

However, most of us are trained to do things slightly differently than what many would term as "usual" for traditional LE. We tend to work huge areas by ourselves (up to and sometimes greater than 1000 sq. miles). Back up is hours away and everyone we contact has guns and knives. We are something like 9 times more likely to be assaulted than other officers. Most officers are known in their areas as good old boys. Most are college educated and well trained. Most grew up as county boys who like to hunt, fish, shoot guns and poach from time to time. I like to call it Retired Undefeated. Having had that background and then being converted can make one somewhat of a zealot, but most grow out of it and acquire a tempered approach.

Fortunately, the vast majority of the people we deal with are good, law abiding citizens. We have ruined the day of many of judge, police officer, minister, what-have-you. I have contacted several guys who claimed to be ex-SF. I friend of mine is a State Trooper and is ex-SF who loves to write our tickets. Even good people make mistakes.

Just a few thoughts.

RB
SLVGW360 is offline   Reply With Quote