View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 05:37   #1
wolfganggross
Asset

Brown Tip .308 Tracer

Hello everyone, I'm a civilian who collects military ammo, and specialize in sectioning, or cutting in half. Got lots of questions about Special Forces and the ammo that they have used, and hoping will be helped out. In return, if anyone has questions for me please feel free to just ask. Its important to now what you are shooting, as well as whats being shot at you!

So heres the first question;

Shown below is a box and one cut round of a brown tip 7.62x51 tracer. This is different from the standard orange tip M62 tracer as it lights up green, not red. As the story goes, these were used by special forces and navy seals who were operating behind enemy line, making a ruse if they were engaged by the Iraqis. (There is also a .50 cal but has a green tip, since they already had brown.) Through contacts at Lake City ammo plant, a tracer comp G-284 was used which is R-284 with strontium nitrate replacing barium nitrate. These were developed rather quickly and sent into theater just before ground forces landed.
This is all info that can be found, does anyone have experience or stories about these? Thanks wolfganggross

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...taways7041.jpg

thanks

Last edited by wolfganggross; 05-24-2011 at 05:41. Reason: picture
wolfganggross is offline   Reply With Quote