Thread: Burns
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 22:05   #5
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
About five weeks ago, I suffered a third/fourth degree burn, on my right index finger, btw the first and middle joint, and around the left side of the finger. It melted my flesh and penetrated to the bone. Within 10 seconds, I immersed my hand in a quart of 32^F egg whites. The burning stop immediately and the pain was gone. As I had to finish the night, (about 6 hrs). I continued to immerse my hand in the albumin, the second, I felt any burning sensation; I did not clean the wound or bandage it that night, but waited till morning.
In the morning, I gently washed out the burn with cold water, and then I cracked a fresh egg, separated the yolk, and again covered the burn. I did this all day, for two days, and only covered the burn with ointment, gauze, band aid, rubber surgical glove, when working the line (about 3hrs). The ointment was used so the gauze would not stick. When not working I left the burn open to the air and would dab egg white on and around the burn. I did this until the wound was fully healed. The finger throbbed for days.
At this point, fully healed, I have no scar tissue, except for the red tone to the new skin, reduced felling to the touch, when its cold outside my finger is sensitive to it. And when pressing on the burn site, very little feeling at all.
While it was healing, the burn was concaved. When viewed from the side there was a noticeable dip of missing flesh. That has all filled in now.

I don’t know if you use any pure albumin based products in your treatments.
Or, if it is an avenue to investigate. But from my experience, this kitchen remedy never fails to turn off the pain in seconds, and helps speed the healing process.

Would like to hear what you think.
While you may have burned yourself and utilized this home remedy for treatment - you did not receive a 3rd / 4th degree burn "down to the bone".
The flesh in the types of burns you describe the ESCHAR cannot "regenerate". 3rd degree burns are generally painless, as the skin layers containing the nerve endings are cooked through and the nerves destroyed. It is cooked, much like steak would be cooked. 3rd degree burns can, and often ARE, surrounded by areas of second and first degree burns, which can indeed be quite painful.
I find it odd that you would have access to "within 10 seconds" - submerge your burn in a quart of 32 degree F egg whites.

Additionally, for all those reading this thread and thinking about experimentation with self treatment of significant burns (thermal or otherwise)...BURNS TO THE HANDS, FACE, GROIN SHOULD BE SEEN BY A PROFESSIONAL IN A BURN CENTER.
Burns to the hands can be permanently debilitating without proper treatment and occupational therapy.

While major burn centers may utilize albumin based products (I have no experience or information to confirm or deny this) - I have not seen any corroborated use for it in Emergency Care or the pre-hospital setting.
Googling "egg white for burns" demonstrates multiple pages of "home remedies"...but nothing blatant from the established medical community.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04

Last edited by Eagle5US; 01-15-2008 at 22:27.
Eagle5US is online now   Reply With Quote