Thread: Lights
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2005, 09:37   #2
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Surefire L1 WH for everyday use. I didn't realize how often I needed a light until I had one to use. One 3 volt battery lasts over a month of daily use, and the 2 stage tailcap allows you to only use as much light as you need.

I also have/use:
Inova X1: (+)Very compact, uses one AA battery, decent beam for it's size, lockout tailcap. (-) Mine went tits up after about 3 months EDC, the factory will warranty it, I just haven't sent it to RI yet

Inova X5: (+)This light is roughly the same size as the L1 and pretty much does the same job, just a little different. The L1 has One Focused LED, while the X5 has 5 LEDs that are not focused. It puts out a soft diffused light very good for up close work, and will run on 3 volt batteries your High output surefire lights have already drained. (-) Basically outperformed by the L1

Streamlight Stylus: (+)Roughly the size of a long Ink Pen, uses 3 AAAA batteries which last forever and a day. I have two of these, One in red and one in white. (-)Have you ever even seen a AAAA battery?

Surefire G2/Z2: (+)Basically the same light, just different colorful shells. Both use (2) 3 volt batteries and the P60/61 bulb from Surefire, they put out more light than a 4-D cell mag light.(-) Only last one hour, Bulbs are somewhat fragile and bulb life is highly dependant on how rough you are on them.

Surefire M6: (+) This is the largest, most powerful light readily available from surefire(not talking about "The Beast" or "Hellfire" here) Takes (6) 3 volt batteries and has a battery life of 20 minutes with the bright bulb. This thing is brutally bright and really useless to your average gringo, think Pickup truck cigarrette lighter plug in spotlight performance that you can put in your back pocket. (-) Why, Just Why?

Maglights: (+) These lights are so obsolete performance wise, they are great to loan to buddies with a bad history of returning things. The larger ones are still quite effective as clubs, an ability that appeals to my inner caveman. They usually work pretty well as flashlights, but a SF is more powerful and easier to carry. They use mainstream, widely available batteries, and the bulbs are available at every Wal-Mart and Hardware store there is. (-) These were great lights for there time, but there are now better options available.

Photon Microlights: (+) Small size, good light output for their size, wide array of colors available, Flashing strobe, SOS, and variable light output available in some models. UV and IR lights are available, as well as versions that direct the light only where it is wanted, rather than the 180 degree light output of a standard LED. (-)While there light output is good for there size, they are still rather weak in the big scheme of things, but they are better than nothing.

Thats what I have and use, YMMV
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote