View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 23:00   #8
Penn
Area Commander

TS, I agree. Food at the end of the day must satisfy the soul, that comfort zone that sets the stage of a deserved nap, a snooze into a half sleep, safe with no worries, with a knowing that it's a rare opportunity to enjoy.

That 45 pound Modernist cook book that sits on my shelf is more of an excess then a resource. When it was released, an event was held at Jean Georges restaurant in NYC. When the author ask for questions, someone asked Nathan Myhrvold, "that with such great luxury, how do account for the elitism," you could have heard a pin drop.

Great food and memories at the end of the day are with the company you keep, be it breaking open a MRE to share on the side of wind sweep slope, or sharing a white truffle paste dish at Cafe Loret. It means very little if its not a shared experience.

In that sense, I am forever grateful to you TS for arranging that excursion to Afghanistan, for the breaking of the bread there has enriched my life with people that are still in contact with today.

The table, be it a wood board supported by bricks, or a formal setting, it whats socially binds us together. imoo
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote