View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 23:44   #378
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

I figure it's an appropriate point to relay this experience.

I recently had to move from AK to NV... 2 vehicle convoy, pickup towing our trailer, blazer just on its own.

Ended up having the rear U-joint on the rear driveline break in two.... in the middle of bum-f Canada.

So, although the driveline was still working but with a nasty clunk... ended up stopping on the roadside at a pullout, jacking up the rear end to get some play in the driveline through the slack in the rear suspension, and disconnecting the entire rear driveline.

It's a press-fit on the actual driveline for the front U-joint, and with it being a slip yoke I couldn't leave it on the transfer case because it'd fall right out.

Put a pan out, collected all the fluid that came out of the transfer case... and rigged up a cover for the rear output with electrical tape, 550 cord, then re-filled the transfer case as best I could given it being a roadside repair.

Put the transfer case in 4 wheel High, and continued on the drive with no ill effects and no leaking worth discussion... Was rather proud of myself.

The next town we got into, we spent the night in a NAPA service shop's parking lot considering we pulled in at about 0300. 0700 rolls around, they open up. Not able to get the proper U-joint, but they improved on my repair with a rubber cap from... well, I don't know, but this rubber cap when anchored with a pipe clamp fits perfectly and is now in the vehicular repair pelican we keep in the truck at all times... if we have an issue again, we have that for an emergency repair if necessary.

Ended up getting the driveline repaired in Prince George at a gear and driveline shop... they had the parts on-hand, and also fixed a couple other things for free.

So, if you have rear driveline issues that deadline a 4wd truck, consider pulling the driveline and covering up the tail housing, then continuing in 4x4 high... it'll work on the trail and it'll work on the road.
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote