View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 01:25   #12
pulque
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhat
My experience has been that a "farang" has a better chance of communicating in that environment than a native speaker of a similar language/dialect. The people of the village are more likely to slow down, speak simpler structures and the "farang" is more likely to guess the word they mean because he isn't locked into a particular tonal pattern having a certain meaning.

Having said all that, there are some differences that are consistent. Lao and Thai both use multiple words for "you" dependent on the relation between those speaking. The Thai usage sounds somewhat formal to Lao, and the Lao usage sounds insulting to Thais.

Lonely Planet publishes a "Thai Phrasebook" that is well put together and includes some Mien, Mong, Lisu, Akha and Lahu as well. Remember, not all the population of Laos is Laotian.

I'd say any Thai you can learn will serve you in good stead. So will anything you can learn about the Thai and Lao cultures (which are similar, although the Thais don't want to admit that). Two books in that area are Culture Shock Thailand and The Thai and I; Successful Living in Thailand.
Thanks Greenhat. I just found out these docs want to go to Phuket after Laos, and if they do I am too. With that in mind, in addition to your points on the consistent differences, I am going to pursue Pimsleur's Thai course. I only have a few weeks before the trip. I have found only one Lao audio course, and that seems to be focused on detailed (long-term) study. Pimsleur seems to be good for getting a few conversational phrases up and running fast (my limited experience with Arabic). I have a difficult time imagining learning a tonal language from a book. Culture Shock in Thailand looks good too. I might read that and Where There is no Doctor on the plane Thanks again Sir!
pulque is offline   Reply With Quote