View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005, 16:35   #10
pulque
Guerrilla

Happy new year! Great solid advice! I knew I could count on someone(s) here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US
Lao language is totally different from Thai-even between provinces. I have worked between provinces where the words for Hot and rain were literally reversed. Our native born translators even have (at times significant) problems between provinces.
I believe it. Nothing will fully prepare me for the culture-shock, but as I do try to prepare I should get used to the idea of being laughed at by Laotians.

Quote:
Primary diseases: malnutrition, worms, malaria (falciprium and vivax), dengue fever (serotypes I, IV), fungal infections, boils and sores, nearsightedness, dental, underage pregnancy.
I will prepare to encounter all of these. I was also told (by a Laotian) that ulcers are common. If so, I wonder if those are diet related ulcers. I am looking forward to this, because I am only working on DNA in the lab all of the time, it gets sortof abstract. This will hopefully expand my experience and test my resolve to make things better for people, to be useful, AND win the battle of people against disease and illness.

Quote:
lay-persons kit: bug spray, antibacterial hand gel, motrin, tylenol, super glue, sam splint, cravats x 4, and-aids, water purification tabs, immodium, mebendazole (worm medicine), benedryl (allergy), pocket knife, lighter, 3 inch ACE wrap x 3, 4x4 dressings x 10, 1 in tape. Anti-fungal creams melt and attract dirt and grime.
I am on it like super is on glue.

Quote:
There are 17 local vipers that will likely kill you if you receive a good bite. These include, but are not limited to: green viper, white lipped viper, big eyed viper, banded krait, black spitting cobra, common cobra, eastern cobra, King cobra, russell's viper, mangrove viper, brown cobra, white spitting cobra, and others... We see 3-5 of these per 30 day mission on average. Closest anti-venin is in Thailand (Bangkok-Queen Savhonnabah Snake Bite Institute). Golden scorpions are also quite common and will down you for about 3 days if stung. They are small and like clothin piles. The only real "hospital" in the country is the Mahosot Hospital located in Vientiane. Photo attached. It is POOR, filthy, and recently painted.
I will keep an eye out for vipers (and insects and scorpions and the less deadly sacred worms). I will not be unaware. As much as a vacationer might like to, I will likely not be able to wander alone, especially as a female in Laos. That would make me a crazy farang.

Quote:
If you are injured and require serious care, call International SOS Alarm center in Singapore 65-6338-9277. They will arrange your care. Ensure your insurance has a rider for internation evacuation and medical care. Their head is Dr. William Farrow, a personal friend of mine and a retired COL in the British Army. Jolly Good Chap, damn nice guy too.
Insurance is the one thing I was considering skimping on (spending more resources on shots, etc.) I suppose that I should be more responsible than that. I will go over my plan to make sure that it covers intl evac. No offense but I prefer not to meet your friend in that context.

Quote:
Immunizations:
Japanese Encephalitis, Hep A, Hep B, Typhoid, Rabies, Tetanus, Flu at a minimum

Antibiotics:
Azithromycin (Zithromax), Cipro, Keflex, Penicillin, Tetracycline.

Malaria Prohylaxis:
Doxycycline 100 mg daily, start 2 days prior to entry in country, end 4 weeks after returning from country.
On return from country, ADD primaquine, 2 tabs daily x 2 weeks.
P. falciprium is resistant to mefloquine in Laos.
I am scheduled for Tetanus, Diptheria, Typhoid, and HepA. I have had two shots of Hep B and missed the third. I am hoping 2 was enough, I believe they can test me for immunity. I hope the WA Public Health Clinic can give me some z-packs. I need to research into which antibiotics are good for what infections. any suggestions of a source of information?

I was hoping to avoid malaria prophylaxis due to side effects, thanks for convincing me.

Otherwise, it sounds like I should be alright if I can avoid getting bit by disease infested mosquitos, drink bottled water, eat HOT food, wash hands alot, and avoid contact with blood. What I am also curious about is how the teams over in tsunami-land are avoiding cholera. And how medics in the field can truly protect themselves against blood-borne pathogens.

Quote:
The most prevalent thing I can tell you regarding your trip-NEVER LOSE YOUR TEMPER IN FRONT OF THE LAO.
Worms are evil and posess the souls of ancestors. They are not to be played with or handled. The majority of the population is buddhist, the tops of their heads arer the most sacred part of their body. Do not pat them on the head or leapfrog over them (show your ass to their head). Men are very affectionate and will hand hold / hug / hang on you. Do not kill/destroy insects, show them to the Lao. Many of these they put in their local meals.

Wash your hands- A LOT. above all, drink clean (BOTTLED) water.

Good luck-
Let me know if you need more, I travel to and from as well as send teams in to Laos 5 times yearly.

Eagle
do they hold/hug/hang on both genders or just women? What kinds of body language translates to "lost temper"? I have some trouble with postures and gestures that get misunderstood here in the states, so I have to work extra hard with that.

If you are going to be around I am sure I will have more questions before February.
Gratefully yours,
-pulque
pulque is offline   Reply With Quote