View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005, 03:07   #7
brownapple

Well, for what it is worth:

Rock is entirely correct in that Thai and Lao are related languages. They derive from the same roots and share virtually identical structure.

However, like any tonal language, and especially one that does not have a enforced standard (as Thai does with Central Thai), Lao suffers significantly from variations in local usage, pronunciation and rhythm to an extent that can make it very difficult if not impossible to understand someone from another area of the country (this is true even of Thai with Issan and the South both speaking a Thai that a Central Thai native may not understand at times).

I'm not surprised that Eagle has difficulties with his translators being able to understand from one village to another. First language speakers of tonal languages often have difficulties making the "jump" of reasoning that a slightly different sounding word is the same word as pronounced in a different dialect. Add in coloquilisms, word drift, slang, etc. and it may seem entirely like a different language.

My experience has been that a "farang" has a better chance of communicating in that environment than a native speaker of a similar language/dialect. The people of the village are more likely to slow down, speak simpler structures and the "farang" is more likely to guess the word they mean because he isn't locked into a particular tonal pattern having a certain meaning.

Having said all that, there are some differences that are consistent. Lao and Thai both use multiple words for "you" dependent on the relation between those speaking. The Thai usage sounds somewhat formal to Lao, and the Lao usage sounds insulting to Thais.

Lonely Planet publishes a "Thai Phrasebook" that is well put together and includes some Mien, Mong, Lisu, Akha and Lahu as well. Remember, not all the population of Laos is Laotian.

I'd say any Thai you can learn will serve you in good stead. So will anything you can learn about the Thai and Lao cultures (which are similar, although the Thais don't want to admit that). Two books in that area are Culture Shock Thailand and The Thai and I; Successful Living in Thailand.

Last edited by brownapple; 01-02-2005 at 03:10.