View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 17:53   #791
TACJAM
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctom54 View Post
YES. BiPAP and CPAP turn a DROPLET transmitted infection into an AIRBORNE transmitted infection.

» What is transmission by droplet contact?
Some diseases can be transferred by infected droplets contacting surfaces of the eye, nose, or mouth. This is referred to as droplet contact transmission. Droplets containing microorganisms can be generated when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks. Droplets can also be generated during certain medical procedures, such as bronchoscopy. Droplets are too large to be airborne for long periods of time, and quickly settle out of air.

Droplet transmission can be reduced with the use of personal protective barriers, such as face masks and goggles. SARS and COVID-19 are examples of diseases capable of droplet contact transmission.

» What is airborne transmission?
Airborne transmission refers to situations where droplet nuclei (residue from evaporated droplets) or dust particles containing microorganisms can remain suspended in air for long periods of time. These organisms must be capable of surviving for long periods of time outside the body and must be resistant to drying. Airborne transmission allows organisms to enter the upper and lower respiratory tracts.

Diseases capable of airborne transmission include:

Tuberculosis
Chickenpox
COVID-19 with CPAP, nebulizers, suctioning etc
Thank you for this response. Very informative and, as I replied to ender, I will have to consider whether and how to modify my bi-pap usage.
TACJAM is offline   Reply With Quote