View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 19:02   #5
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdret1 View Post
I found several sources to the article you referenced however, I could find no links to the actual study. I would be interested to read that study and see how they defined "gang"and "weapon". I would also be interested to see how they worded the questions and the selectable answers. It doesn't sound right to me.
QP rdret1--

As of the writing of this post, I've been unable to find a copy of the study discussed in the OP.

FWIW, Ms. Reed and Diane Pilkey discussed the study in a recent issue of the NorthwestBulletin. Attached is that specific issue's cover page and the two page discussion.

IMO, Mr. Strobbe and his editor[s] at AP took a sensationalistic approach to the study. Only after grabbing the readers' attention does he point out that Reed herself thinks that a lot more research needs to be done.
Quote:
Additional research is needed to confirm the findings, said Reed, who has since left the University of Washington and is now a social worker with the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. For example, the survey found that 10 to 20 percent of the adolescents in deployed families said they were in gangs. That's surprisingly high - more like something seen in New York City in the 1950s. Perhaps a larger, more national study would produce a lower number.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sarah Reed study overview.pdf (163.7 KB, 15 views)
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote