View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 21:11   #4
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Caveat Emptor. I wouldn't pay more than $300-$350 without some serious incentives. I don't really consider Galils and Valmets to be AKs. They are more expensive and harder to find. They are uniformly higher quality (fit, finish, and some ergonomic changes) but functionally identical. Their relative scarcity means you'll be competing with collectors to buy them. Pre vs. post ban is no longer an issue. The ones without the compensator are cheaper though. If it's a factory gun (e.g. WASR etc.), and hasn't been obviously abused, it's probably ok. AKs are incredibly robust and the cartridge isn't that powerful. If it's a "Build" then you have all of the issues TR mentions plus the QC/experience of the builder. I'm in the middle of (re)building a couple of Yugo parts kits. I'm working with a professional gunsmith, using the best components I can find, and the finished product is (going to be) a quality weapon. I've examined a few that were assembled by people with less experience and I wouldn't buy them for parts. Good luck.
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote