View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 10:28   #31
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Tucson NCO dies in Afghan fighting
Green Beret is killed at 36 while on his 5th deployment
By Alex Dalenberg
ARIZONA DAILY STAR

Master Sgt. David L. Hurt, a Green Beret who grew up in Tucson, would send his family word from Afghanistan whenever he could, even if he only had time enough to say, "I love you."
His mother, Bonnie Hurt, said she would sometimes get instant messages from her son that said, "I'm really busy. I love you."
Hurt, 36, and another non-commissioned officer in his unit, Staff Sgt. Jeremy E. Bessa, 26, died Friday in central Afghanistan supporting Operation Enduring Freedom, a Department of Defense press release said.
Their vehicle struck an improvised explosive device near the village of Khordi in Oruzgan province. Shortly afterward, their unit came under fire from enemy forces, the release said.
Bessa died at the scene. Hurt was flown to Kandahar Airfield, where he died from his wounds.
Both soldiers were assigned to Company B, 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), a U.S Army Special Forces press release said.
It was Hurt's fifth deployment in Afghanistan, the release said.
Hurt was born in Oak Park, Ill., but moved to Tucson when he was 3 years old. He joined the Army in 1992 after graduating from Santa Rita High School, Bonnie Hurt said.
Hurt went on to a decorated military career, joining the Green Berets and winning numerous awards and decorations, including the Bronze Star with two Oak Leaf Clusters, his U.S. Army biography states.
Hurt loved the Army. Even as boy he loved playing with toy soldiers, his mother said.
Years later, after her son had joined the Army, she would walk into his home and see the small plastic soldiers spread across a table — this time being used to plan out real-life tactics.
"He always loved the Army. Oh God, he loved it," she said.
And Hurt loved his country, installing a flagpole in his mother's front yard after returning from his first combat deployment, she said.
Hurt also cared deeply for the men whose lives he was responsible for.
"On those (Special Forces) teams, they're closer than they are to their families," Bonnie Hurt said.
Wednesday, the last time Bonnie Hurt spoke with her son, Hurt told her that he was trying to keep his team's spirits high after a medic had been killed the week before. He told her that he was trying to keep his team of young soldiers busy so they wouldn't have time to dwell on things, she said.
Most of all, Hurt was a husband and a father, survived by his wife, Kelly, 11-year-old daughter, Avery, and 5-year-old son, Wyatt.
"He was a very loving, caring husband, . . . and he was a great father. He loved doing things with his kids. He took his kids everywhere," Bonnie Hurt said. "They're really taking it rough," she said.
Funeral arrangements are pending. Bonnie Hurt said she hopes some of Hurt's friends in Tucson will contact with the family before then. He had been wanting to visit with old friends before his final deployment, she said.
As for herself, nothing in her life compares with this loss. "I've lost my mom. I've lost my dad. I've lost my aunt. I've been through a ton of funerals," she said. "You can go through all of that, but it's nothing like losing your kid . . . they're not supposed to go before you."

funeral info

If you knew Master Sgt. David L. Hurt and would like information about funeral arrangements, call Bonnie Hurt at 1-910-987-1465.

Contact reporter Alex Dalenberg at 307-0579 or at adalenberg@azstarnet.com.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printDS/281361