Thread: Second Life
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 10:56   #2
jatx
Area Commander

My opinion on social networking sites is that there must be a strong unifying interest or a screening mechanism in place for them to be of value.

PS.com works because its leaders have passed through the SF screen and the non-SF members share their interests, values and style of interaction.

ASW, another very strong community, works because its members have interlocking offline social and business networks.

A site like the one you mention is nothing more than a virtual cafe, IMHO, and I don't place much value on random interaction with the general public. Also, to the extent that an online community is successful, its members will see their online relationships migrate to offline ones eventually. I've enjoyed that here, but would question the value of it on a less focused site.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote