Thread: Running shoe's
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 10:59   #25
perdurabo
Guerrilla

Background
I am big (6'4) and heavy (~235lbs). I've run many trail and road marathons and ultras, and I "hash" (nuff said). I only run roads when I have to.

Over the years, I've worked my running style into a low-calorie-burn "shuffle" with toe strikes, though in training I like to rip up hills like a madman, and do sprints. I've done a bit of actual barefoot running on the road, as well.

I am a big proponent of toe striking and avoiding Runner's World and anyone (except me!) who offers their advice. Go to a trail race, find the gruffest, sickest bastard you can -- he'll be the guy who grins & growls as he sprints up the steepest cliff of the race, buy him a beer, and pick his brain.

VFFs
They're great. I don't have the embarrassment issue with them because I live near a town internationally famous for running, everybody has a pair. They're great for roads and non-crushed rock trails.

There's a learning curve with them. You have to learn to eliminate toe slapping and learn how to perform light foot strikes (on the ground). Shoed people are used to ramming their heels into the ground and this won't cut it for the toes.

I like them because I can feel damn near everything under my foot, and they're very well-ventilated to the atmosphere. They let me stay in tune with the terrain.

The downsides?

They suck on crushed rock trails. I had tough feet and even began running several miles of pavement actually barefoot (without VFF/shoes) and I still could not handle crushed rock in VFFs. I tried and I couldn't condition my feet to tolerate it.

The topside of the shoe isn't very durable. If you're going to be on a remote trail, bring some duct tape to seal up any holes that might develop from a fall. It really sucks having to run several miles back to the car with pebbles and dirt getting into your VFFs.

They suck in the mud. I have the rugged KSO model with the traction crap on the bottom and did a 4 mile mud race in them. It was like running on an ice skating rink. They suck for running across creeks, swamps, and heavy tree root areas.

LaSportiva Crosslites
These are great trail shoes at about $90. They're rugged, fantastic treads, very lightweight and they don't look unusual. When you first try on a pair, you have to loosen the laces up quite a bit and then tension them up to a good comfort level.

There's not a lot of bulk under the foot so it's no problem running as a toe striker in these. Even though there's not a lot of bulk, you don't have to worry about jagged rocks, the sole is solid. The treads are like soccer cleat treads, but they don't collect mud.

ASIC DuoMax
Great basic road shoe for neutral pronators. I've run several road and even trail races in them. They don't fall apart at all. I've had 3 pair now (wore the cushioning out in each back when I was a heel striker).
perdurabo is offline   Reply With Quote