Thread: Bugout Loadout
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 23:47   #50
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Some different thoughts on movement. Depending on whether it is a mass evacuation or an independent movement?

In some cases I might presume groups or crowds of people moving away from cities with a wide spectrum of skills and abilities. How far out would they be going, some probably only going minimal distances as opposed to the 100 miles stated.

How would terrain channelize movement... In Colo. with the foot hills it would be different than the plateau at 3,400' I was at in NC.

One thought might be the ability to change appearance during movement which could be as simple as a different colored shirt, hat or pack cover. In other situations the ability to camouflage and or reduce signatures might be key during halts.

Navigation could be dead reckoning w/or wo a map or it might require local knowledge of terrain, trails and historical info. ( older overgrown trails and disused routes)? In the triple canopy forest maps and altimeters come in handy.

Small game gets rousted while traveling quietly alone or in small groups, I was thinking of the game in this area ie Rabbit and squirrel, however there have been recent out breaks of tularemia ( rabbit fever) and known episodes of rabies in this State...which makes one ponder the meds and items needed for travel. Often have been curious what supplements might come in handy in situations where you are obtaining some local food but not meeting all dietary needs ie proteins, carbs vitamins, stimulants *...
* While I enjoy pine and spruce needle tea a nice black tea or tasty coffee makes a difference at times.

In Colo. they say if you don't like the weather wait five minutes, they say there are seasons here but we have seen 80f temps a week ago and snow for tomorrow. Travel in the high country can be dicey and unpredictable often. Good skill craft can go a long way in dealing with the intangibles and as said before multi purpose equipment can make a big difference.*
* 18f temps 12" of snow a week after 70f temps a week earlier.

Thinking about the weapons load out I realized I take the same when heading to the Mt location here, while I understand things can happen on the way I regard the last movement into a space I have not controlled recently as the most likely danger zone. Being prepared might just make the difference in this scenario both for you and your crew especially in remote areas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unexpected snow totals and low temps..jpg (58.7 KB, 13 views)

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 05-09-2017 at 09:20.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote