View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 19:09   #52
odoylerules
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Since we are talking cultural anthropology, which is a significant topic for SF, I would mark my modern topo map with the Spanish missions and other settlements and would try to route from one to the next as lay-up points, rather than relying on straight line movement. Frankly, I might be willing to temporarily convert and winter over in a mission, rather than a tent, teepee, tarp covered sod hut, etc.
TR
I don't have the requisite field time and am barely the age to post, so I won't get into that, but one of the first thoughts through my head was "Southern route - Jesuit/Dominican/other missions."

They're going to take you in, and instead of/in addition to a "temporary conversion," learn up on the Council of Trent, the Cathechism of the Catholic Church (from that time period) and blend right in from the get-go. Plan it right, and instead of being the "lost heathen that Brother Juan found in the desert," you could be "the man who came to our gates praying the Rosary," just plot out the spots on the map, get your timing right and come right before or after a daily Mass, if you could know for certain when it was being said...which I guess you could establish by simple surveillance.

Eat well, good room, companionship. I might be alone in saying this, but I'd start to go fairly nutty after being all alone in the woods for months on end, interacting largely with just hostile natives. Being with people - people who didn't want to kill me - would be a treat by the time I reached that are of the continent.

Forgot to say, I was actually thinking a lot earlier in the thread, regarding camouflage, for dealing with some tribes who would recognize and like it, pack a Roman collar or appropriate ecclesiastical garb. I'm not one for sacrilege, but wearing clerics isn't sacrilege if it's to protect your life.

Last edited by odoylerules; 05-07-2008 at 19:14.
odoylerules is offline   Reply With Quote