View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 20:28   #58
WTFOver

Scar

Shot and did detailed disassembly of Scar and variants at Joint Armorer's course. This weapon is a liability. The trigger housing group, while the genesis is the FN has been hopelessly over-complicated; over 7 springs. You need a bench and dental picks to unfu*k the lower. The extracter rentention pin is retained with a washer. It is smaller than an M-4 or M-16 variant, so you can imagine, this thing is tiny. Instructors said the pin is angled down so it will still cycle if the pin falls out. I'm sorry, but depending on an engineering guess is not realistic. The instructors where lukewarm about it as well. But they just dump ammo until they break and log it. This thing has been built by committee.

The one drawn from the armory was assenbled with the wrong bolt; the heavy 7.62 rotating bolt was in a 5.56 variant. The previous class was filled with SEALs; go figure.

The reciprocating handle is the first complaint from those that shoot this thing, but the long term maintainance issues are overly complicated, and designed (in my oppinion) to drive costs up and let FN make more money.

In the meantime, I'll work with the broke stuff I got now.