View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 10:53   #54
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

If you wish to embrace the SCAR, that is great, just be careful of the following:

With the reciprocating bolt handle, you can knock it out of battery when yo have to use two hands for a task and lay the weapon along your side with the sling or bang it on something while building climbing or hook it on your body armor or mag pouches, or any other pouch. All of which has happened as we played with it and any of which would be a very bad shock in combat.

With the reciprocating bolt handle take care of you fingers and thumb in some shooting positions as the bolt can and will whack them good during rapid fire in a stress shoot event that tests your ability and requirement to fire in other than range only conditions. Unfortunately most guys only shoot it on the range when they state they like it and not under stress while moving on targets of both hostile and friendly; during climbing or movement through obstacles; or when working on one problem and a "bad guy" target appears.

IF you are in a fire fight, protect your non firing hand on the forestock as it will give you second degree burns. It is ill protected and insulated and after two mags will really warm up your hand.

Embrace but wit full knowledge, not just because it looks cool. And unfortunately that is why some say they like it. It looks futuristic and cool. "I like carrying it because it looks bad assed." Good shit, how did it perform in combat situations?

Last post on this one, sorry, I had promised myself that I would not post anymore but nothing pisses me off more than hearing you may as well embrace something as it is a done deal. That is exactly what the forces of mediocrity want you to do. I refuse to do that and ask only that the forces receive a weapon that is the best out there, not the one that looks cool, the one that we may as well accept, or one that is change for change sake to get Congress off our backs over some "perceived" problems by some channel on cable vision. I want a weapon that is a quantum leap and that truly is worth the dam money or put the money in realistic ranges and give the troops range time to actually KNOW how to shoot and not try to make technology do it for them.

My LAST 2 CENTS on this subject.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote