View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 12:37   #9
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmoke View Post
I agree. Wages have been affected by forces at an aggregate level outside the average person's power. TR's comments are also correct, for the most part people shouldn't be working "entry" level jobs well into family hood, but the lack of otherwise higher paying jobs is another symptom of our economy. Though still in college my part time job is as a security guard which fortunately for me pays pretty well. I am finishing college while applying for area for the fourth time. Not that a police job is an entitlement, but for every position available there is roughly 10-20 applicants, most of whom in my position either in school or some lower paying security type job. There is simply a lack of higher paying jobs available. One could start their own business, work overtime, etc. but even that is not always available. I see MOST of the people I work with as decent people, fairly competent and hard working. Should their job pay more money so that they can afford a family and the basics? As in raising wages? That to me is the main question. Earners on the high end of the pay scale and corporations will pay tax dollars for benefits for the poor anyhow. Should we cut most or all benefits for a purely classical economy? Or should we continue to prop up the portion of our society that is consistently underperforming?
Take an economics class before you buy into the "living wage" nonsense.

Economics 101: The price of something increases, the demand decreases. Waving a magic wand and telling businesses to pay more doesn't mean that the business suddenly has the extra money to pay the new wage. One of two things happens. The price of his goods increase to pay the new wage or he hires less workers. The most likely outcome, as many studies have shown, is the later since a business raising prices has to then compete with other businesses who may not raise their prices.

That is why mandating minimum wages has a net result of fewer jobs.