View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 19:45   #945
chester
SF Candidate

I really scored about 6 weeks ago at my local library and picked up a backpack full of military history and strategy books for free.

Read so far:

A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918 by G. J. Meyer

I never knew anything about WW I. This book was suprisingly hard to put down for a history book and did a great job of explaining the war for a guy like me with almost no knowledge of the world before the great depression.

Volume 1 of Winston Churchills 6 volume set on WW II. It was so good I ordered the rest of the set but it will be a while before I get through it.

Working my way through On War by Clausewitz. It is thought provoking but I suspect I did not get the most readable translation.

Spec Ops: Case Studies in Special Operations Warfare: Theory and Practice by William H. McRaven

This book was excellent. His 6 fundamentals of a successful "special op" (simplicity, security, repetition, surprise, speed and purpose), made a lot of sense and seem like a good mental checklist to review when planning a mission.

Also read The War of the Flea. It was a good read and one I will probably read again once I have some formal training in UW.

On deck: Modern Times: The World from the Twenties to the Nineties by Paul Johnson.

I've got a whole stack I would like to get through but I suspect once I start the Q course I won't have a whole lot of time for extra-curricular reading. Making the best of my free time while I've got it.